BackMay 07, 2020
Types of Injuries that Can Happen in and Around Your Home
Most people would consider their homes to be a safe place without considering that a serious injury could happen in the place that they live. Unfortunately, unpredictable accidents can and do happen within the home quite frequently. Even those who are extremely careful and maintain strict safety precautions might find themselves involved in an accident that results in a serious injury. While it is difficult to predict when an accident is about to happen, understanding some of the common dangers around your home and how to react if you have sustained an injury can help to keep you safe.
Watch for these Dangerous Sources of Injury Around Your Home
Although many people would not think of their home as a dangerous place, there are a number of different ways that people sustain serious injuries around their homes. Some of these injuries could be caused by:
- Defective products – Any number of defective household products can lead to a serious injury. A faulty cleaning solution that leads to chemical burns, a malfunctioning toaster that results in a kitchen fire, or an improperly built toy that leads to a choking hazard are just a small number of the different defective household products that can result in a serious injury around your home.
- Common areas of an apartment building – Some apartment buildings and residential neighborhoods have common spaces where people spend time. These could include a playground, a bbq grill area, a community garden or park, or a swimming pool. When these areas are unattended to and improperly maintained, they can cause a serious injury to those who attempt to use the facilities.
- Play equipment – Playground equipment can be dangerous even when safety precautions are taken. Equipment that has not been properly maintained might be rusty, old, and in need of repair. This is not always obvious for those who are simply looking to enjoy some time outside with their children. Defective playground equipment can lead to a serious injury.
- Bike and pedestrian accidents near your property – A bike or pedestrian accident can occur anywhere, and if you are riding or walking near your home and are hit by a car whose driver is not paying attention, you could suffer serious injuries. Many people would not think that the street in front of their house is a place where they could be injured, but drivers are often unaware of pedestrians when they are backing out of their driveways or sending a text as they pull out of their garage. This can result in a serious injury for a pedestrian or bike rider.
- Slip and fall accidents – A slip and fall accident can lead to some surprisingly painful and long-lasting injuries. A slip and fall accident typically occurs when there is a wet spot on a floor, or when there is an obstacle in the way that is not highly visible. These accidents often result in traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, whiplash, and other devastating injuries that are challenging to recover from.
What to Do if You Have been Injured in an Accident Around your Home
Sustaining an injury around your home can be confusing at first. After all, this is the place that you live, and it is a typically safe place where you usually would not consider watching for hazards that could cause an injury. Nonetheless, injuries around the home do occasionally happen, and when you find yourself in this situation, it is important to act quickly. Here are a few tips for how to deal with an injury around your home:
- Remove yourself from the situation – One of the first things that you will want to do after you are injured is to find a safe place that is away from the hazard that caused your injury. If you are unable to move without risking further injury, stay where you are, and call for help.
- Call 911 – If you have been seriously injured, the first step will be to call 911. A first responder will arrive on the scene and help you bring you to the hospital for an evaluation. If you are unable to call yourself, ask someone who is nearby to call for you and stay with you until the ambulance arrives.
- Go to see a doctor – Even those people who do not think that their injuries are all that serious are advised to seek medical attention in the event of any accident. Some symptoms take hours or even several days to present, and this is one of the reasons that a medical visit after an accident is important. A doctor can help to determine what potential injuries you might suffer even if you are not showing severe symptoms right away.
- Follow your doctor’s advice – Your doctor will typically assess your injury and put together a recovery plan. This might include physical therapy, medication, follow up appointments, and time off of work.
- Contact an experienced Matthews personal injury lawyer – Once you have taken care of your physical health, the next step will be to contact a personal injury attorney in order to discuss your next steps. Your attorney can help you throughout the legal process. They might offer to take steps like dealing directly with the insurance companies so that you don’t have to and working to put together a summary of damages to help you receive just compensation for your injuries.
Don’t Hesitate – Call Our Matthews Personal Injury Lawyers Right Away
If you have been injured in your home, and believe that the cause of injury was not your fault, it is advisable to seek the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. The team of Biazzo & Panchenko, PLLC are dedicated to helping our clients receive the best possible outcome for their personal injury case. We offer a free case review, and our policy is to collect fees only if we successfully recover damages for your claim. Call us today at (704) 900-7675 or contact us online to learn more about how we can help.